ECO°PAPER is a cooperation project between Ferrero (Italy), Stora Enso Barcelona (Spain) and Papiertechnische Stiftung (Germany) that started in July 2012. It aims at the creation of a more economical and ecologically friendly packaging solution for confectionary goods. For that purpose confectionary waste, specifically hazelnut shells and cocoa bean skins, from the production of confectionary goods is pre-treated by a dry-milling process and then added to the middle layer of a triplex folding box board. There it acts as a partial replacement for virgin cellulosic fibres. Hence, the waste materials are upcycled as raw materials for board production and not being treated as waste anymore which leads to a more sustainable and more economical packaging. During a laboratory project in 2011 and 2012 the paper and board recipes have been developed in Italy and Germany. These studies have shown that confectionary waste is capable of substituting for virgin cellulose in the middle layer of triple-layer folding box board. The paper recipes developed in the laboratory were up-scaled to pilot plant scale.
In this page:
ECO°PAPER improves the production chain for confectionary goods by making use of production waste within the packaging of the produced goods.
- Reduce the use of virgin fibres in packaging materials and use easily available abundant residuals instead.
- Develop an efficient process waste supply chain where the combination of preparation and transport costs will result in raw material for paper and board production that is more economical and ecological than conventional fibre sources for papers and boards.
- Reduce the cost of paper and board based packaging.
- Ensure the stability and independence of the European paper industry against the competition from new markets (BRICS) by providing a technology to lessen the dependence on virgin fibre.
- In the long-term perspective the technology is expected to be able to consume 50% of available confectionary waste (hazelnut shells, cocoa bean skins) resulting in 750.000 – 1.5 million tons of paper every year.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
PIAZZALE PEITRE FERRERO
12051 ALBA PiemonteItaly
+39 (0173) 294069
Sector:Food and Drink
Duration:19/07/2012 to 18/07/2015