Current processes to manage animal by-products, especially dead animals, such as incineration and landfill, has high energy costs, limited use of waste, and requires high amounts of material for its construction. The aim of the project is to promote a sustainable management of animal by-products focusing on dead animals by means of their co-digestion in a biogas plant, in order to revalorize them through the production of a high quality fertilizer and green energy. In the proposed solution, dead animals are treated with other by-products such as slaughterhouse wastes or manure (cat 2 & 3). This treatment consists of a grinding, sterilization and anaerobic digestion in a biogas plant to produce fertilizer and biogas. The biogas is valorized to obtain heat reutilized in the process and electricity. The fertilizer is used for land fertilization to improve crops growth, what assures a total reuse of the resources in a cost-efficient and sustainable way, with near zero emissions, what will contribute to its replication in EU countries. The work program extends over 3 years, in 3 main stages of interconnected actions such as management, technical activities and dissemination activities
In this page:
The high replication of an alternative to reduce impact of animal by-products, being the first plant in Spain that integrates rendering & biogas plant.
- To replace environmentally unfriendly systems (incineration and landfilling) and reduce the use of fossil fuels.
- To offer a sustainable and feasible solution for the treatment of animal by-products, especially dead animals.
- To promote the implementation of initiatives (sustainable centralized plants) for the optimization of resources (waste as resource).
- To obtain recyclable end products such as fertilizer and biogas with high economic and environmental benefits.
- To disseminate the project outcomes among the farming and agricultural sector and agro-food industry with the purpose of offering new solutions to the management of animal by-product wastes.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|VISE, VISECORSA S.L.U||Spain|
|BFC, Biogas Fuel Cell S.A||Spain|
|BIG, BIGADAN A/S||Denmark|
|PURAL, Purines Almazán S.L.||Spain|
VISE, VISECORSA S.L.U
F-15 C/PARROQUIA DE CORTIÑAN
15165 Bergondo - La Coruña GaliciaSpain
Ms Yolanda Carcedo
Sector:Food and Drink
Duration:01/09/2010 to 31/08/2013