The need to recycle tyres into other products is very high. Each year, about 250 million tyres are replaced in Europe, and several billion are piled up awaiting final disposal. It's four times higher on a global scale. The overall objective of the project is to make way for EcoRub's forerunning innovative hybrid material on European markets, resulting in a decrease of Europe's ecological footprint in terms of storing and burning used tyres. EcoRub has a proprietary technology for recycling of discarded tyres dy mixing rubber powder with plastic and reinforce the bond in between with a patented molecule. The material is thermoplastic and elastic properties allows it to replace the rubber in numerous applications. The project aims to identify and adapt the innovative hybrid material to end users requirements, to integrate the primary raw material in the pre-commercial phase and to develop a clear cut strategy for systainable exploitation of the innovation after the closure of the project.
In this page:
The creating of Europe's first value chain of recycled rubber from end-of-life tyres to high quality rubber & plastic end products brings the beginning o a solution for the recycling of tyres in Europe.
- Success will mean the identification of 20 possible customers in three geographical markets in two sectors worth at least €5 million and the decreased consumption of new rubber, by 190 tons, and of oil, by 1 700 tons, a year.
- Adapting the raw material and the composition of eco-rubber according to end-user specification resulting in an increased demand of eco-rubber corresponding to 200 tons per year
- The creating of Europe's first value chain of recycled rubber from end-of-life tyres.
- An increased production capacity of eco-rubber to 200 tons per year
- Decreased greenhouse gas emissions corresponding to ca.86.26 tons of CO2 equivalent per year
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|KIT, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie||Germany|
|ACS, Business Interest Association ACS|
|Herco, Tyres Herco SA||Greece|