First foundations for biodiversity measurement approaches laid down at a Technical Workshop on 26-27 March 2019
On 26 and 27 March 2019, 50 representatives from consultancies, conservation groups and companies gathered in Brussels for a technical workshop organised and run jointly by the European B@B Platform and UN Environment World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC) under the ‘Aligning biodiversity measures for business’ initiative with support from Boticario Foundation and the European Investment Bank.
The objectives of the workshop were to conduct an in-depth exploration of the methodologies behind a number of biodiversity measurement approaches for business, building on the EU B@B Platform workshop of 18th September 2018 in Brussels. It also aimed to lay the foundations for common biodiversity measurement principles amongst key stakeholders that would help businesses contribute to global biodiversity goals.
Different sub-groups were proposed to drive work forward on common ground principles for biodiversity measurement approaches reflecting the key areas where alignment is needed (e.g. business applications and targets; Scope, boundaries and baselines; Data sets for impact assessment; Metrics; and Disclosure).
The first draft principles for securing common ground between biodiversity measurement approaches were derived from the discussions over the two days. These principles will be discussed and refined in the sub-groups and used to foster alignment between measurement approaches.
The meeting confirmed the need to identify and agree areas of common ground between biodiversity measurement methodologies. The Aligning Biodiversity Measures for Business Initiative will work with the European Business and Biodiversity Platform to refine the terms of reference of the sub-groups, confirm membership and initiate work on common ground principles.
It was also suggested to set up a governance model that brings in corporate members to the sub-groups and creates a corporate and policy consultative group to ensure strong corporate and policy representation into the project.
A follow on workshop will be held in Brazil on 29th,30th and 31st October 2019 and will feed into the B@B Platform meeting in Madrid on 9th November. This workshop will focus on identifying common ground and aligning indicators with corporate reporting initiatives and global policy. Businesses will be engaged throughout and practical cases of indicator application will be used as a basis for discussion.
Click here to access the minutes of this meeting.
Presentations of the different speakers are available below:
- The Aligning Biodiversity Measures for Business initiative (Annelisa Grigg, UNEP-WCMC)
- Company needs and challenges (Anke Salzman, Boticário Foundation)
- Indicator methodologies, applications, existing alignment and areas of divergence (Johan Lammerant, Arcadis)
- Biodiversity indicators for management and disclosure (Joel Houdet, Endangered Wildlife Trust)
- Developing common ground principles for biodiversity indicators (Arjan Ruijs, Actiam)
- Introduction to sub-groups (Johan Lammerant, Arcadis)
- Exploring commonly used data sets (Globio, IUCN Red List, ReCiPe)
- Sub-group 1: Business applications and targets (Johan Lammerant, Arcadis)
- Sub-group 2: Scope, boundaries and baselines (Marielle Canter-Weikel, Conservation International)
- Sub-group 3: Data sets for impact assessment (Joshua Berger, CDC Biodiversité)
- Sub-group 4: Metrics (Wijnand Broer, CREM)
- Sub-group 5: Disclosure (Joel Houdet, Endangered Wildlife Trust)