Strategic Energy Technology Plan
The European Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET Plan) is a key stepping-stone to boost the transition towards a climate neutral energy system through the development of low-carbon technologies in a fast and cost-competitive way.
By improving new technologies and bringing down costs through coordinated national research efforts, the SET Plan helps promote cooperation among EU countries, companies and research institutions, and in so doing also deliver on the key objectives of the energy union.
The SET Plan consists of the SET Plan Steering Group, the European Technology and Innovation Platforms (ETIPs), the European Energy Research Alliance (EERA), and the SET Plan Information System (SETIS).
Key action areas
The integrated SET Plan indentifies ten actions for research and innovation. The actions addresses the whole innovation chain, from research to market uptake, and tackles both financing and regulatory framework. To ensure an effective interaction with all partners, the plan has an overall governance structure for measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), including level of investment or cost reductions.
integrating renewable technologies in the energy systems
reducing costs of technologies
new technologies and services for consumers
resilience and security of energy systems
new materials and technologies for buildings
energy efficiency for industry
competitiveness in global battery sector and e-mobility
renewable fuels and bioenergy
carbon capture and storage
SET Plan Steering Group
The SET Plan Steering Group consists of high-level representatives from EU countries, as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Turkey.
It ensures better alignment between the different research and innovation programmes at EU and national level, as well as the SET Plan priorities. It also increases cooperation between national programmes to avoid duplication and heightens the impact of public investment.
European Technology and Innovation Platforms
The European Technology and Innovation Platforms (ETIPs) were created to support the implementation of the SET Plan by bringing together EU countries, industry, and researchers in key areas. They promote the market uptake of key energy technologies by pooling funding, skills, and research facilities.
- ETIP Wind
- ETIP PV
- Ocean Energy Europe
- European Geothermal Energy Council
- Smart Networks for Energy Transition
- ETIP on Renewable Heating and Cooling
- European Biofuels Technology Platform
- CCS Platform
- Sustainable Nuclear Energy Technology Platform
European Energy Research Alliance
The European Energy Research Alliance (EERA) aims to accelerate new energy technology development by cooperation on pan-European programmes. It brings together more than 175 research organisations from 27 countries, involved in 17 joint programmes. It plays an important role in promoting coordination among energy researchers along the SET Plan objectives and in the technology transfer to the industry.
SET Plan Information System
The EU's SET Plan Information System (SETIS) provides information on the state of low-carbon technologies. It also assesses the impact of energy technology policies, reviews the costs and benefits of various technological options, and estimates implementation costs. This information is useful for the European industrial initiatives, private companies, trade associations, the European Energy Research Alliance, international organisations, and financial institutions.
SET Plan Conference
The annual SET Plan conferences have been organised since 2008 and offers a chance for decision-makers, stakeholders and researchers to assess the SET Plan's progress.
The conference follows the rotating presidency of the Council of the EU and takes place in corresponding country.
- Publication: SET Plan delivering results (November 2018)
- Publication: The Strategic Energy Technology (SET) Plan (September 2019)
- Publication: Transforming the European Energy System through Innovation
- Communication - Towards an Integrated Strategic Energy Technology (SET) Plan (C/2015/6317)
- Investment in the Technologies of the European Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SWD(2013) 157) and the accompanying Technology Assessment (SWD(2013) 158)
- Investing in the development of low carbon technologies (SET Plan) (COM(2009)519)
- A European strategic energy technology plan (SET Plan) - Towards a low carbon future (COM(2007)723)
- Towards a European Strategic Energy Technology Plan (COM(2006)847)