Initiative for coal regions in transition
About the initiative
The Initiative for coal regions in transition assists EU countries and coal regions tackling challenges related to the transition to a low-carbon economy.
It aims to support public administrations and other relevant stakeholders by
- connecting stakeholders: the initiative facilitates collective dialogue among regions and the wider stakeholder community, promoting good practices and cooperation, and organises working groups and high-level political events.
- delivering technical assistance: tailored, needs-oriented assistance and capacity-building help coal regions in the practical steps to transition from the carbon-intensive era towards a clean energy future.
- providing supportive resources: through the presentation of helpful information sources and the creation of new support materials. These include toolkits, guidelines and reports covering key transition issues for coal regions, such as governance, environmental rehabilitation, employment, financing, clean air and clean technologies.
Since early 2019, a secretariat manages all initiative activities jointly with the European Commission. The secretariat is co-run by Ecorys, Climate Strategies, ICLEI Europe, and the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment, Energy. Together they bring a unique blend of skills and competencies to support coal regions in transition.
Get in touch with the secretariat: email@example.com.
- Coal regions in transition
- Just Transition Platform
- Just Transition Mechanism
- Just transition funding sources
- TRACER project