Coal regions in transition virtual week / 16-18 November - Outcomes and resources
The Just Transition Platform Meeting – Coal Regions in Transition Virtual Week from 16-19 November welcomed new regions to the Initiative and hosted discussions on developments on the EU Just Transition, the current outlook of the Coal Regions in Transition Initiative, stories of regions from the EU and beyond, among many others.
This week featured two categories of events:
- Just Transition Platform meetings;
- Coal Regions in Transition Virtual Week, with a specific focus on coal.
The week kicked off with an opening session dedicated to highlighting the importance of stakeholder involvement in the just transition. Stakeholder engagement was the central theme guiding the sessions focusing on the just transition. They gave the floor to financial actors, social partners, business representatives, youth organizations and transition experts to discuss the needs and challenges of the just transition.
As part of the coal region in transition week, we welcomed some of the regions that recently joined the Initiative, introducing their challenges and projects to kick-off the transition. Different sessions during the week looked at the transition away from coal within and beyond the EU, with a focus on Ukraine, as well as the future hydrogen economy.
- Current outlook of the Coal Regions in Transition Initiative - 16 November
- Just transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine – a new initiative for regions in the EU’s close neighbourhood - 17 November
- Discussing the future hydrogen economy: opportunities for Coal Regions in Transition - 17 November
- Updates from the Secretariat and voices from the regions - 18 November
- Research projects on environmental issues related to mining and coal mine closure - 18 November
This reference document features notes and presentation summaries from the Coal Regions in Transition Virtual Week.