Although leisure generates more traffic then work or school related trips, mobility management for tourism and recreation is relatively new. STREAM contributes to filling this gap. In 7 countries, demonstration projects will be carried out, with two main objectives: - to promote sustainable mobility TO and IN recreational areas; - to use recreation as a circumstance in which you can more easily promote green mobility in every day life. 3 types of recreational environments are covered: "green corridors" (soft mobility routes in West-Flanders and in Vilnius City), nature recreation (recreation parks in Belgium, mountain regions in Austria and Italy, Lagiewnicki forest in Poland), coast recreation (Belgium, Portugal and Bulgaria). A wide range of sustainable mobility solutions will be tested and promoted: information services about sustainable transport, development and promotion of intermodal mobility routes (bicycle in combination with boat, public transport and parking), green tourist packages, clean vehicles, dedicated bus services.
In this page:
- Creation of awareness and creation of responsibility among decision makers (tourist development agencies, local governments, managers of recreational sites, tourist companies) and the general public about the importance of sustainable mobility for recreation and tourist purposes
- Application and testing of soft (cheap) measures that can contribute to behaviour change in leisure related trips and testing of new behaviour among target groups;
- Tangible energy savings at the demonstration sites as a result of a modal shift from car to sustainable mobility;
- Direct increase of the environmental quality of the recreational environment (noise reduction, reduction of emissions, reduction of congestion problems);
- Materials that can be used for international dissemination of the STREAM-concepts and actions.
- Make a seamless and logical combination of sustainable transport TO and IN the recreational site. The most effective combination is to integrate sustainable mobility in the tourist or recreation package from door to door
- Regarding awareness raising in general, special education actions for children of youth are easy to organize in the recreational context and effective on a long term
Partners and coordinatorList Map
Duration:01/10/2006 to 31/01/2009