The main objective of the project was to launch two types of integrated urban planning methods (Local Transport Performance and Drive Slow Go Faster) in six cities. These integrated plans enable the cities to perform better in terms of energy savings and the environment through a clear modal shift away from private car use. The six pilot-cities were supported by 3 cities that already have implemented similar plans earlier. The project provided the pilot cities with the necessary experiences and tools as well as with a successful methodology. The project also addressed two specific barriers: the lack of multi-sectoral skills for professionals and institutional barriers. These barriers were addressed through activities such as train the trainer events, city coaching and local workshops where experts from different disciplines were invited.
In this page:
- The anchoring of integrated-approach thinking in 5 cities: S. Sebastian-Donostia, S. Fernando de Henares, Ludwigsburg, Zvolen, Martin
- Integrated urban plans in 5 cities
- National quality support groups (expert networks) on integrated planning in 5 countries (DE, ES, NL, PL, SK)
- A web based toolkit of integrated planning methods and best practices
- 26 new cities interested in the implementation of the Snowball concept
- Importance of involving local politicians, decision makers and key stakeholders early in the process. The timeframe of the project also needs to match key political milestones.
- Importance of developing a sound and comprehensive baseline analysis of the city potentials and challenges at the start of the project.
- Communication means should be used extensively and creative ways of addressing the target groups can lead to wide successes.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Goudappel Coffeng bv||Netherlands|
|Comune di Verona||Italy|
|NET Engineering SpA||Italy|
|Gemeente Hilversum - Dienst Stad||Netherlands|
|City of Martin||Slovakia|
|Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava||Slovakia|
|THE CITY OF ZVOLEN (MESTO ZVOLEN)||Slovakia|
|Ayuntamiento de Donostia-San Sebastián||Spain|
|Ayuntamiento de San Fernando de Henares||Spain|
|GRUPO DE ESTUDIOS Y ALTERNATIVAS 21, S.L.||Spain|
|City of Stockhom||Sweden|
|John Thompson & Partners Limited||United Kingdom|
Goudappel Coffeng bv
0031 570 666 253
Duration:01/01/2006 to 31/12/2008