The project spread a very compelling teaching methodology from the Netherlands to another 8 Member States. The methodology aimed at building competence amongst vocational school students (15 -21 years old) in the energy management field by tasking them to come up with concrete energy saving and renewable energy solutions for real clients (local businesses, NGO or municipalities).
In this page:
- The SIEU methodology was successfully tested in 9 different countries involving 2373 students from 101 schools that developed 131 projects on sustainable energy solutions for 108 clients from local businesses, municipalities and NGO's.
- 36 projects identified concrete energy saving potentials: 547,000 kWh of electricity and 59,000 m3 natural gas per year. This would represent an emission reduction of 473 tonnes of CO2 per year.
- 3 guidelines in 8 different languages have been published to support other organisations and teachers in carrying out their own project. These are: "Guidelines for local coordinators – Setting up an educational energy project", "Guidelines for teachers – Conducting energy projects in the classroom" and "General information on intelligent energy use" (for students). All are available online and hardcopies can be obtained with each national partner.
- Additional benefits of the SIEU methodology include stronger links between schools and their local community and businesses; new teaching method where the teacher is "coaching" students in the project framework; and a practical exercise with contacts to real businesses and a real assignment with real solutions that can be implemented.
- 44 schools and 5 clients are interested in running SIEU-like projects in the following years.
- For any replication of the SIEU methodology it is important to build in from the start strong monitoring mechanisms on energy impact indicators in order to illustrate to the client and the students the achievements. This includes access to energy consumption data before and after the intervention.
- Any replication should plan in means of collaboration agreements between schools and the clients to ensure uptake of the solutions identified by the students.
- The pedagogical concept of SIEU is very valuable as it goes beyond simple awareness raising, but actively builds competences amongst the participating students and teachers. Through a hands-on approach students are tasked to come up with energy saving solutions for concrete case studies, e.g. company offices, shops or public buildings. In this way, theoretical knowledge is translated into a wide range of practical and technical skills which are mutually beneficial for the students and the client
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe||Hungary|
|FOCUS ECO CENTER||Romania|
|Community Energy Plus||United Kingdom|
|Centre for Environmental Education and Ethics Rychory-SEVER||Czech Republic|
|IVAM UvA Ltd||Netherlands|
|Global Rivers Environmental Education Network Belgium||Belgium|
|Cooperation for Voluntary Service - Bulgaria||Bulgaria|