The SEEMORE project focuses on introducing energy efficient transport solutions for visitors in 8 coastal touristic regions. Its main objectives are: - Increase awareness about sustainable mobility options - Increase cooperation between the tourism and mobility sectors - Realise a shift of travel behaviour of tourists towards more sustainable modes of transport To achieve these goals, a wide range of measures are implemented in the Balearic Islands, Bohuslan, Forli-Cesena, Dobrich, Pomerania, Madeira, Limassol and Malta, including information services and awareness raising activities, introduction of new mobility options and incentives.
In this page:
- Visitors of tourist regions benefit from the improved traveller information, the increased choice in mobility options and the attractive integrated travel and leisure products.
- 8-15% reduction of car use by visitors for leisure trips within the SEEMORE regions; 5% increase in non-motorized leisure trips in the SEEMORE regions; total increase of 950.000 annual public transport passengers in the SEEMORE regions; and ultimately a reduction of annual primary energy use of 2.000 toe/year and 5.500 t CO2e/year reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by the end of the project.
- Local actors in other European tourist regions are inspired through the organisation of national transfer seminars, presentations at European conferences and through written information. By the end of the action 30 other tourist regions are expected to start implementing similar activities for sustainable mobility of tourists.
- On the regional level a stronger co-operation between actors from the tourism and mobility sectors is being established with local working groups and the implementation of concrete activities like data exchange protocols.
- It takes time and effort to establish good cooperation between the local transport and tourist sectors.
- When developing the action plans, it is important to focus on concrete measures that can be realised on the short term and that show immediate results.
- There is a clear synergy between the tourist and transport sectors. Achieving the mobility objectives from the SEEMORE project also means adding value to the local touristic products.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
CINESI Transport Consultancy
Mr Maarten van Bemmelen
Duration:20/03/2012 to 20/03/2015