Lack of national knowledge and expertise is the biggest obstacle to the development of large-scale energy programmes In sub-Saharan Africa. The RIAED network helps develop the capacity of French-speaking experts involved in the access-to-electricity-field projects through pro-active on-going exchange of knowledge. To achieve its objective, the RIAED pools and spreads resources and tools, operates working groups with sub-Saharan and European experts, and initiates thereby powerful discussions on access to energy issues. The RIAED Internet platform is a central mechanism to achieve these aims. It provides expert members with professional tools, vital services to improve their skills (e.g. documents database, newsletters, job openings, calls for tender, training courses etc.), a weblog creation and hosting facility, collaborative areas to discuss issues or projects with sub-Saharan and European experts, and the opportunity to participate actively in international meetings and workshops.
In this page:
- 129 experts French speaking experts involved in electrification projects for the poor have become members of the RIAED network. They come from all continents. Around two-third of them are from Developing countries.
- The RIAED Internet platform is online since mid-November 2006, a window to French-speaking expertise in access to electricity of the poor: After only 4 months of activity, the portal received more than 10,000 visits in March 2007. Experts spent 5 minutes per visit as an average. More than 5,000 documents have been freely downloaded in March 2007.
- In April 2007, the fifth monthly RIAED e-newsletter has been disseminate to 1,769 experts around the world.
- From December 18 to 23, 2006, RIAED hold its first international meeting in Antananarivo, Madagascar. More than forty experts, coming from Europe and fifteen sub-sahelian countries held the conferences and workshops organized with the Club-ER. Seven RIAED working groups were defined and launched with participants. From March 19 to 24, 2007, RIAED hold its second international meeting in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- This popularity of the project underlines the importance of exchange instruments such as the RIAED portal within the French speaking expert community.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Association pour la Promotion des Energies Renouvelables asbl||Belgium|
|Agence Intergouvernementale de la Francophonie||France|
Duration:01/01/2006 to 31/12/2008