School buildings are places of major public interest. Therefore not only the educational system itself, but also the conditions of these buildings are very important signals to the public, even to the pupils themselves. The RENEW SCHOOL project will promote and increase prefabricated timber-based renovation of school buildings to nearly zero energy building (nZEB) standard in Europe. It will help to downsize the energy use significantly, and create and secure comfortable conditions for the pupils and teachers.Sustainable school renovation actions are built on following three focus points promoted by this project:
- Improvement of the building’s envelope by coating it with insulated prefabricated timber modules integrating windows, solar shading and ventilation/heating pipework
- Improvement of the indoor environment quality (IEQ) by ventilating, passive cooling and daylight upgrading the classrooms
- Improvement of the energy gains on site by using renewable energy sources, beside passive measures
- Increase the number of nZEB school buildings
- Assist the target groups with tools and concepts
- Force the know-how exchange of multipliable renovation methods
- Initiate trainings for SME
- Convince the users by awareness projects
In this page:
Mayor results will be:
- School building owners and financiers like municipalities as well as companies and users will have more knowledge about the way from existing to nZEB standard schools, with remarkably increasing the IEQ of the building. The project will lead the target groups directly to the major principles of school renovations and so increase their rate. The project will offer tools and solutions complying with their needs.
- 24 visits to the 18 visualised frontrunner buildings ready to motivate the school owners and planners doing the same, will be made. 20 school buildings renovated to nZEB standard in the "RENEW SCHOOL" way will be initiated by the project. Two computerized decision tools for advanced cooperation models and technology options will be offered.
- 16 technical workshops on cooperation models and on technical solutions for nZEB school renovations will be held together with 8 technology talks bringing school owners and companies together. Around 5.000 pupils assisted by their teachers will carry out awareness raising projects on nZEB renovation topics.
- Trainings for the employees of at least 100 SME in specific technologies of comprehensive school renovation will be carried out. The website will actively serve as contact and information exchange platform for the stakeholders and network activities. So 10.000 interested persons of the target groups will download or will be provided with a short motivating video.
- The project has identified 18 frontrunner school buildings, which are now analysed deeply to know more about their sucessful cooperation models and technical solutions and to learn for other ones to come
- First workshops, trainings for professionals and school projects started
- The network platform www.renew-school.eu started to be active in connecting target groups by passive information and active communication