PROVEN in rural Africa aims to promote the replication of best practice approaches that have PROVEN their effectiveness in the decentralised rural electrification using renewable energies in target regions in West-Africa and East-Africa, by developing: - low threshold, practical information exchange and training material for actors in the provision of access to decentralised rural electricity services, such as technicians, dealers, project developers, salespeople and finance administrators. - targeted information exchange, "know how-", "know what-", "know when-", "know if-" material for policy makers and stake holders influencing the rural electrification process
In this page:
- Analysis of the development and implementation of 6 best practice projects and publication
- Inventory of key actors, their role and their know-how
- Tailor fit training material for actors and stakeholders in rural electricity access initiatives
- Capable network of actors who can play a role in development and implementation of rural electrification using renewable energy systems
- Insights sharing in project and policy dynamics with actors and stakeholders in max 4 new project initiatives
- Rural electrification with small renewable energy technology is feasible, as long as it is designed for affordability and quality and the proper economic chains and/or service delivery mechanisms are reinforced, and viable and sustainable product/service offerings are put in place.
- There are two major ways to meet the demand: A market-development or service-delivery model. The service delivery model is more appropriate for targeted interventions in a strong institutional landscape. The market development model is more appropriate for spontaneous diffusion and an economically active rural lower/middle class.
- As both market and service models require multi-level stakeholder interventions, capacity building and cash flows, careful design and management of such interventions is required. The more successful practices manage to set these up from the most practical level and generate multiplier effects. Practical trainings devoted to focused participants are therefore an essential ingredient of success. Last update: 28.07.2010
Partners and coordinatorList Map
Fondation des Energie pour le Monde