Both the ambition and the rate of ongoing energy renovation operations in housing inadequate to achieve the goal of 38% reduction in energy consumption by 2020 set by Région Ile de France. Since direct public funding of projects will not meet the required level of energy efficiency, it is now necessary to consider additional financial instruments. Ile-de-France Region has launched a public-private venture in order to develop an Energy Service Company (ESCO) offer focusing on low-energy refurbishments for collective housing and public buildings. The venture is set-up as a Semi-Public Company, called ENERGIES POSIT’IF, with 85% of capital held by the Regional Council and Local authorities and 15% of capital held by Private partner. The project will focus on an extended offer to condominiums, encompassing advising activity towards individual co-owners prior to work programme and follow-up of energy consumption after the refurbishment is completed.
In this page:
- Energy Efficiency Contracts signed with Condominiums
- Professionals trained on EPC contract management among social housing companies and local governments / municipalities
- The project delivered €35,581,544 of energy related investments for the refurbishment of 8 condominiums comprising 2,127 dwellings. Moreover, the coordinator SEM Energies POSIT'IF signed a further 21 contracts with condominiums (almost 2,000 dwellings) for the design stage, i.e. detailed feasibility of energy savings interventions and finance plan development for each co-owner, and another 13 contracts are signed with condominiums (over 1,800 dwellings) for the audit stage.
- The activities of SEM Energies POSIT'IF led to primary energy savings of 17,490 MWh/a (or 1,504 toe/a), a reduction of GHG emissions by 4,560 tCO2e/a, and the creation of 592 jobs within the project duration.
- The key success of the project, which makes it exemplary in Europe, is the successful introduction and demonstration of a new, highly effective business model into the French renovation market for multi-family buildings. The innovative model by SEM Energies POSIT'IF encompasses a design-works-operate turn-key contract with guaranteed energy savings, development of individual financial plans and ambitious energy savings (on average 47%) to achieve at least the French standard "Bâtiment basse consummation" (= 104 kWh/sqm/a).
- The project is also exemplary in boosting the local construction economy as SEM Energies POSIT'IF is partnering with engineering and building firms to create a multidisciplinary team to carry out studies and works (architects, thermal engineers, construction companies, etc.). To his end, Energies POSIT’IF has set up a framework agreement in 2015 with 10 thermal and fluid engineering offices and 8 architectural firms. Thus, for each new project, Energies POSIT'IF launches a simplified consultation with the pre-selected partners to obtain the best possible service and price.
Despite the great interest for Energies POSIT’IF offer towards condominiums, legal issues have diverted time and resources away from outreach work and finalising contracts with condominiums. Those legal issues were underestimated when Energies POSIT’IF project was designed.The market for comprehensive thermal retrofitting of condominiums is complex and contract development entails high transaction costs. Indeed, the experiences so far show that a full contract development cycle for comprehensive thermal retrofitting is a long term process that requires at least 18 months. That is a major barrier to delivering retroffiting soltuons in this particular market and it explains why private involvement in this market remains low.Due to SEM Energies POSIT'IF being owned by regional and local authorities, the project has been an important and effective instrument to build capacity amongst public authority officers and politicians being able to influence local and regional strategies, funding instruments and policies on housing renovation.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|SEM ENERGIES POSIT IF||France|
|ARENE, AGENCE RÉGIONALE DE L'ENVIRONNEMENT ET DE L'ÉNERGIE D' ILE DE FRANCE||France|
SEM ENERGIES POSIT IF
Mr. Jean-Claude GAILLOT
+33 – 1 - 53 85 56 80
Duration:05/04/2013 to 04/04/2016