The MEPRED project, part of the European Energy Initiative, aims at laying the groundwork for broader access to energy. MEPRED will apply a multi-stakeholder multi-sector approach in order to mainstream energy for poverty reduction and economic and social development into national and regional development strategies and programmes. This approach aims to lay the foundation for bringing public support, both from developing country public authorities and from developed country aid agencies, to projects and programmes delivering essential energy services essential. Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Senegal and ECOWAS participate in MEPRED. Support comes from the European Commission Coopener programme, Denmark, France, Germany and the Netherlands, along with the UNDP Energy/Poverty Regional Programme. MEPRED cooperates with the World Bank/ESMAP and GVEP.
In this page:
- Identify energy services essential for achieving the Millennium Development Goals, in areas such as water, health, education, gender equality, rural development, etc.
- Make propositions for integrating energy into development strategies.
- Develop economic and financial models for energy service delivery.
- Propose institutional actions for using local sustainable energy resources (notably biomass and hydropower).
- Develop institutional mechanisms to assure that energy meets the needs of poverty eradication and national development.
- In order to be effective, the activities of institutional support projects must be based on consultation, at every step of the way, with the national and local public authorities of the beneficiary country. This is the only way to guarantee ownership and long term sustainability of results.
- Partners in COOPENER projects must pay attention to the complex inter-relationship between, on the one hand ODA rules and practices, and on the other hand, Intelligent Energy Europe administrative rules.
- Last upated: 20.07.2010
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Agence de l'Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l'Energie||France|
|Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit GmbH||Germany|
Agence de l'Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l'Energie
0033 0 4 93 95 79 96
0033 1 47652355
0033 2 41 91 41 65
0033 14765 2450
Duration:01/04/2005 to 31/03/2008