Given Europe's diversity, implementing new European legislation requires flexible tools. The EPA-NR consortium set out to produce and test one such modular tool for existing non-residential buildings, with a view to streamlining implementation of the Directive on the energy performance of buildings. The key target groups were policy makers and the energy consultants who would use the software tool. The software is compatible with the standards on energy performance calculations for buildings, prepared by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) which draws up voluntary technical specifications to help achieve the Single Market in Europe.
In this page:
- Energy calculation software is available, as well as an inspection protocol and a check-list for an intake interview, together forming an overall approach to the building certification process.
- The method was successfully applied to 26 non-residential buildings covering a wide range of building types situated in diverse climates across Europe, with at least three pilot applications in each participating country.
- The reliability and accuracy of the software has been demonstrated based on internationally recognised comparisons.
- Application strategies for putting the software into practice were presented.
- National feedback committees and workshops were set up, with many countries participated as observers. 15 national authorities participated with observer country status.
- Even though the European Buildings Directive had to be implemented in the EU Member States by January 2006 many of them are still working on a method and tools for which EPA-NR can be an important support (this shows also from the interest to participate as an observer)
- The assessment of the energy performance of existing buildings is much more complex than of new buildings, particularly when determining the building?s characteristics (e.g. through inspection).
- Still, the energy saving potential in existing buildings is much larger than in new buildings, so energy saving in existing buildings should be stimulated, but to be successful the specific issues are to be taken into account consciously.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
0031 26 353 72 72
Duration:01/01/2005 to 30/06/2007