This project aimed at rewarding companies and public administrations for saving energy in their office buildings by behavioural changes, such as turning off the lights or turning down the heating, etc. A trophy was up for grabs for the biggest savers. The project was built on the success of the 2004/2005 pilot competition which involved 38 contenders from six countries.
In this page:
- The project achieved some concrete impacts on the market in terms of energy reduction (10.8% of energy saved corresponding to 17,8 GWh, a reduction of 9000 tonnes of CO2 emissions and cost savings of approximately 1,4 Million € in one year) and in terms of awareness raising (information campaigns were implemented for nearly 25.000 employees).
- 82% of the participants have declared that they will continue implementing cost free or low costs measures after the end of the project, which proves the sustainability of the action.
- This project demonstrated in practice how small measures can lead to real and effective energy savings in offices – and to thereby encourage many more followers of these practices.
- It supported the participating companies, public and non-governmental organisations with energy saving campaign materials, information exchange between participants, an electronic data monitoring system and not at least the incentive of being awarded with prize at national and European level.
- All companies or public buildings can save energy with little financial means by raising awareness for energy issues, motivating staff in a fun and comprehensive way and consequently changing behaviour. The key for success is a committed management board, as well as one or more driving forces among the employees.
- The experienced made with installing and running the WEB´log systems has shown that it is not advisable to use smart metering systems from one country in other European countries, as the already existing national techniques would have been fitted better to the different national technical conditions and would have been therefore easier to install.
- The Energy Trophy+ is an excellent action for office buildings to save energy as the competition has been proven to be an incentive at different levels: The European aspect of the competition motivates the participants in a special way and shows the global importance of energy saving. An exchange of experiences between participants in many European countries ensures an enormous input of different strategies that can be applied.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
B.&S.U. Beratungs-und Service-Gesellschaft Umwelt mbH
Duration:01/12/2006 to 28/02/2009