A cool roof is a roofing system that is characterised by high solar reflectance and high infrared emittance and delivers cooling energy and financial savings, improved thermal comfort conditions, mitigates heat islands and reduces air pollution. The proposed action aims to create and implement an Action Plan to promote cool roofs technology in EU. The specific objectives are: to support policy development by transferring experience and improving understanding of the actual and potential contributions by cool roofs to heating and cooling consumption in the EU; to remove market barriers and simplify the procedures for cool roofs integration in construction and building’s stock; to change the behaviour of decision-makers and stakeholders so to improve acceptability of the cool roofs; to disseminate and promote the development of innovative legislation, codes, permits and standards, including application procedures, construction and planning permits concerning cool roofs. The work will be developed in four axes, technical, market, policy and end-users.
In this page:
- Creation of the EU Cool Roofs Council (EU CRC) and compilation of EU CRC’s Action and Strategic Plan
- Five cool roofs pilot studies to serve as examples of cool roofs benefits, a database of cool roofing materials and manufacturers, a handbook and a toolkit to assist the better understanding of the technical aspects of cool roofs technology
- Market promotion plan for the market aspect of cool roofs that will be based on the mapping of key players in the field and the analysis of the existing market situation in EU
- Proposal for a successful strategy to overcome possible policy barriers and engage with key stakeholders who could support and accelerate the creation of an EU policy and regulatory friendly environment to Cool roofs
- Organisation of workshops and seminars and participation to an EU Conference and an exhibition to disseminate the results of the project. Creation of a web portal providing visitors with information about the project and EU-CRC
- • Results indicate -40% cooling and +10% heating. Overall 30% energy reduction. • Thermal comfort is improved in buildings without cooling. • There is a common perception that cool roof means simple white paint, the actual enhanced thermal performance or the variety of colours available are generally unknown. • There is confusion with the term "Green Roofs".
- • Dissemination needs to emphasize the protection of the roof lifetime and the ease to apply cool roofing material as a retrofit.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Prof. Mat Santamouris
Duration:01/09/2008 to 28/02/2011