The CHECK IT OUT! project aimed at checking and improving the energy performance of schools in the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary and Spain and at disseminating the best-practices identified through the duration of the action. Within this project, the energy performances of 90 schools have been assessed through some Energy Performance Assessments and specific action plans were identified for each of them. The recommended solutions were both technical and organizational. Afterwards, the project partners have supported the schools with the implementation of these action plans and besides this technical part, the project partners have also introduced educational programs in the participating schools to get the pupils and teachers actively involved in the programme, mainly by informing them about energy saving and climate change.
In this page:
- Overall, this project succeeded to support 90 participating schools and to implement concrete energy saving measures. In total, 594 measures have or will be implemented which represent an investment of 5,2 million euro and yearly savings of €640.000.
- A list of 30 suggestions for energy savings focusing on lighting, heating and ventilation has been compiled.
- Fifteen workshops held for teachers, giving them tips on how to use the project's educational material and how to get pupils involved in fighting climate change.
- A cross country analysis of barriers for the implementation of energy saving measures and best practices solutions in schools has been produced as well as common (core) educational approach for schools which encourage pupils to spread the project results outside the school.
- 1. Although the situation in the participation countries was very different it was very striking to see that the barriers and bottlenecks for implementing energy savings on the schools are often very similar! So the lessons learned and best practices in this project will also be very interesting for stakeholders in other European countries.
- 2. It was very hard to convince schools to participate. Therefore it might be wise to offer the technical and educational parts of the project as independent projects that can be favorably combined, rather than offering two parts as one projects. The reason is that some schools were interested in performing only one of those two parts, and because of that, couldn’t join the project.
- 3. It has been very important and useful to start the project with a detailed inventory/cross country analyses of the different roles and experiences of each partner and to discuss each partners’ goals and objectives within this project. Based on this analyses the project partners are aware of each role and goal and know what they can expect from each other.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Association Municipal Energy Agency - Rousse||Bulgaria|
|Unabhängiges Institut für Umweltfragen e.V.||Germany|
|Energy Club Environmental Association||Hungary|
|COS Nederland, nationwide association for international cooperation||Netherlands|
|Ecofys ema SL||Spain|
0031 30 2808 313
+31 30 2808 495
0031 30 2808 313
0031 30 2808357
0031 (0)30 2808322
Duration:01/10/2006 to 31/03/2009