In Cyprus, according to the roadmap developed under the "Build Up Skills, Pillar I" initiative, there is a need to train at least 4.500 workers/installers for 13 different skills until 2020 (Buildings and RES technologies) identified as critical to help achieve the EU2020 national targets. In order to achieve these targets, there is a need to have workforce with the appropriate qualified knowledge, experience, skills and attitudes not only in the Building sector but in all sectors related to energy efficiency and Renewable Energy Sources in buildings.The "WE-Qualify" project facilitated the target of reducing the skills gap by 2020 by developing a training and qualification scheme for blue-collar workers/installers that focus on the most critical skills identified in the national roadmap.The outcomes of WE-Qualify are expected to provide the key components for the upgrading of existing or drafting of new SVQs to be included in the future National Qualification Framework (NQF), an appropriate training methodology and a transparent and clearly defined qualification route. The ambition is to configure a competent workforce specialized on the Energy Performance of Buildings according to European criteria and standards, to encourage a greater number of blue-collar workers to advance their professional skills and knowledge and to help achieve the target for the construction of near zero energy buildings by 2020.
In this page:
- An operational qualification scheme for the workforce on the energy efficiency building sector and theoretical and practical training for the blue-collar workers and the trainers for three skills
- Acknowledged quality standards, professional frameworks and training methodology - taking into account essential national adaptations and legislation
- All stakeholders’ groups were informed through dissemination and National Consulting Committee (NCC) and qualification documentation presented to policy/decision makers in Cyprus
- Increase the awareness of the enterprises (20 stakeholders) and workers (1000 persons) towards the energy targets and the need for continually improving their skills to address these targets
- Five (5) pilot training courses implemented with participants improving their skills (92 people trained and 76 qualified)
- Three (3) training courses were implemented to train the trainers
- Development of three (3) National Qualification Schemes (NQF)
- There was considerable interest in the training course for installation of thermal insulation in contrast with the training course for installation of thermopanes and exterior sunshades where the interest was less than expected because the related companies already send their installers for training.
- The contact of trainees with companies importing thermal insulation materials influences their knowledge because each company has different expertise in the construction field. As a result the trainees acquire different skills and attitude in the building sector.
- After the completion of the training course for the installation of thermal insulation, it was made clear by the trainees, that the specialized training and certification of qualifications in the construction sector is nowadays a must, if the workers want to be competitive in the market and to achieve recognition of their professional competence and abilities in their field of work
Partners and coordinatorList Map
ENERGEIAKO GRAFEIO KYPRION POLITON (CYPRUS ENERGY AGENCY)
+357 22667716, +357 22667726
Duration:01/11/2013 to 31/10/2016