The Residential and Commercial/Public Sector accounted for approximately 43% of energy consumption in Ireland in 2009 (SEAI, 2010). Data from the Quarterly National Household Surveys (CSO, 2011) indicates that the number of people directly employed in the construction industry peaked at 269,900 in 2007 but has now declined to 109,900 in 2010. It has been estimated that 1,000,000 Irish houses will require retrofitting by 2020. This combined with a target to achieve a low carbon standard for new buildings by 2015 and minimum renewable energy supply requirements for buildings will mean those working in or entering the construction sector need new specific energy skills. The Build Up Skills for Ireland (BUSI) Consortium has brought together key players with Project Management, Education and Training, Consultation and Networking skills. The BUSI partners will be supported by a Steering Committee which includes Strategic Stakeholders e.g. Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, Department of Communications Energy and Natural Resources and others. The Roadmap will be developed following a robust consultation process with the relevant stakeholders.
In this page:
- - Completion of detailed research on the current status in relation to energy training and up-skilling for craftspeople in the construction sector in Ireland. This will be summarised in a detailed Status Quo Report to be published in Month 6 of the project (April 2012).
- - Engagement with more than 30 stakeholders in the construction sector in Ireland via a participatory consultation process to map the future needs of the sector in Ireland. This will results in a A National roadmap for Future Training and Upskilling needs of the construction sector in Ireland, to be published in April 2013.
- - Endorsement of the Roadmap by the majority of Strategic Stakeholders (Government Departments and Agencies) by the end of the project.
- - A formal Build Up Skills Platform established by the end of the project to support the implementation of the roadmap into the future. Using a project Website and a BUSI Community on the Build Up Portal the BUSI project will engage with stakeholders with a view to promoting networking and exchange of skills and knowledge.
- The project has just started.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Limerick Institute of Technology||Ireland|
|Dublin Institute of Technology||Ireland|
|Institute of Technology Blanchardstown||Ireland|
|Irish Congress of Trade Unions||Ireland|
|Construction Industry Federation||Ireland|
Limerick Institute of Technology
+353 (0)504 28101
Duration:01/11/2011 to 30/04/2013