The objective of project was to establish or upgrade large scale institutionalized training schemes for the qualification of craftsmen and other on-site workers in the field of energy efficiency and renewable energy in buildings, according to the Action Plan proposed in the Italian Roadmap delivered within the Pillar I of Build Up Skills Italy initiative.The training courses are meant to be an investment for sustainability by evolutionary processes which will lead to a high quality of skills. The training schemes were based on a well-balanced relationship between theory and practice. The educational principle behind the training was “Hands on Learning”. Indeed the training courses took place in classroom and in demonstration facilities and laboratories, where practical work was performed. The target groups (building workers and trainers) and the relevant key actors (governments, chambers, association of engineers, project developers, SMEs, constructions companies) have shown a high level commitment in taking part as active players in the establishment of the training courses.The objective was reached through the following actions: Train the workers; Train the trainer; Certification and qualification of workers; Ensuring the long term sustainability of the action; Dissemination and communication activities.
In this page:
- Certification/qualification of craftsmen and other on-site workers (blue collars) in the field of sustainable building. During the project lifetime, a number of training schemes were developed. It can be estimated that after the project lifetime, the training courses further implemented could qualify or certify a relevant number of building workers up to 2020: 243 workers directly trained through classes, laboratories and e-learning courses
- Training of teachers, engineers, professors, which will further train building workers and disseminate the concept of the training courses: during the project, trainers were trained through the "train the trainers" courses (also e-learning platform - learning management system may be realized): 82 trainers trained through 3 pilot seminars and 1 validation workshop
- Acceleration in adopting and promoting energy efficiency in buildings: the consortium has been defined in order to involve companies and project developers in the project realization. This cooperation was meant to accelerate the deployment of energy efficient systems in new buildings and renovations: 4000 users trained through YouTube video-lessons, Adoption of a standard model for I-TOWN Centres of excellence and laboratories
- On the basis of 901 questionnaires filled in by Italian building sector workers, there is a lack of competences on energy and environmental issues and workers are aware of the importance of those skills and the need to acquire them
- Given the specificity of the building sector and the characteristics of workers, it has been defined that the trainer should be aged 35-60 with at least 15 y of experience at construction sites; have overt operational skills. Pedagogical skills can be acquired attending specific training courses as the specific new professional skills
- Regarding qualifications, one of the suitable solutions is to qualify the trainers and workers with a professional qualification standard & a specific professional training. It is necessary to create a training and qualification system not impacting workers and companies financially, based on public standards with a national recognition.
- Training of trainers should not be only technical and operational, but provide specific training on soft skills to trainers.
- e-learning and web learning can be an effective multiplier to a broader diffusion of energy and sustainability courses for building workers
- the most effective way to certify skills acquired through training sessions is to adopt regional standardisation systems. I-TOWN skills, competences and abilities, as part of the training modules, can be easily integrated within existing regional qualifications