The European Commission launched the Platform on Coal Regions in Transition in December 2017. As part of the Platform’s activities two working groups meet three times per year to discuss priority projects and best practices in coal regions:
- The ‘Post Coal Economy and Structural Transformation’ group covers projects focusing on the economic diversification of coal regions
- The ‘Energy System Transformation and Clean Air’ group covers projects focusing on the improvement of air quality and technologies which are compatible with the long-term vision of the decarbonisation of the European economy.
Each of the meetings allows selected coal regions to present their transition strategies and priority projects for which feedback is provided by Commission experts and stakeholders of the Platform.
A high-level dialogue on the future of coal regions takes place annually in addition to Working Group meetings.
5th Working Group Meeting / 15-16 July 2019
- Details and agenda coming soon.
4th Working Group Meeting / 8-9 April 2019
- Webstream - Plenary, Monday 8 April, 9:00 - 13:00
- Webstream - Coal Regions Roundtable, Monday 8 April, 14:30 - 18:30
- Webstream - Shaping technical assistance for transition in your region, Tuesday 9 April, 9:00 – 13:00
- Webstream - LIFE Programme and funding opportunities / Update on EU projects supporting transition in coal regions, Tuesday 9 April, 16:05 – 18:30
- Presentations 8th April
- Presentations 9th April
- Photo album
- Video: DG ENER's Deputy D-G Borchardt talks about the Platform for Coal Regions in Transition
- Video: Aleksandra Tomczak talks about the Platform for Coal Regions in Transition's Secretariat
- Video: Robert Pollock concluding the WGM of the Platform for Coal Regions in transition, 8-9 April 2019