Le pagine web del sito "Studiare in Europa" sono attualmente disponibili soltanto in inglese. Le traduzioni saranno pubblicate a breve.

Frequently asked questions

Find answers to frequently asked questions about studying in Europe.

We receive many questions about studying in Europe and the Study in Europe project.

This section shows provides answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

About Study in Europe

  • What is Study in Europe and where is it located?

The Study in Europe project is not a higher education institution. Study in Europe is a European Union (EU) project, which aims to help international students to find out about higher education study, research and scholarship opportunities in Europe.

  • What services do you offer?

Study in Europe informs students worldwide about studying in one of the 33 Erasmus+ progamme countries. We do this via Facebook, Instagram, the Study in Europe website and during student fairs around the world.

  • How much do your services cost?

Study in Europe does not charge fees to students.

Courses / Programmes

  • I wish to study in Europe, but do not know where to start…

On the Study in Europe website, you will find lots of information about studying in Europe, including a country profile for each European country. Browse the different country profiles and learn more about the higher education systems. The Planning your studies section will help you to plan the different steps you have to arrange study in Europe.

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram where we share information about studying in Europe.

  • How long will my degree course take if I study in Europe?

The average length for degree programmes in Europe is

  • Bachelor's degree programme: 3 years
  • Master's degree programme: 2 years
  • Doctorate/PhD: 3 years
  • Is it also possible to study in English?

In addition to study programmes in official national languages, most European countries also offer many programmes taught in English. View the country profiles to find out more.

  • Will European universities recognise my school-leaving certificate, my previous higher education degree or the time I already spent studying in my home country?

This is handled differently by each country and sometimes even by each higher education institution. We recommend contacting the International Office of the European university where you want to study to check if the certificate/degree that you already obtained will be recognised. You can also find more information on the recognition of academic and professional qualifications on the ENIC-NARIC website.

  • How can I learn more about admission requirements?

We would recommend contacting the International Office of the higher education institutions in Europe you are particularly interested in to ask for detailed information on admission requirements. You may also look on the country profiles on the Study in Europe website, where you will find useful information on all European countries and general information on admission requirements.

  • For which countries are IELTS/TOEFL not mandatory?

Each country, even each higher education institution, decides on its admission requirements. We would recommend contacting the International Office of your selected higher education institution in Europe to ask for detailed information on its specific requirements regarding English language certificates, such as International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

  • How can I find the best university?

With thousands of world-class universities, higher education institutions and research institutes in Europe, it is difficult to tell you which university will be the best for you. Each student has different priorities, interests and wishes. Check the Planning your studies section to find out about European higher education institutions.

If you want to consult a university ranking, U-Multirank is a user-driven ranking that covers different aspects of higher education and can be adapted to your needs and priorities. U-Multirank is an independent tool, financially supported by the EU in its first years.

Funding / Living costs / work

  • What are the tuition fees per year for international students?

In general, studying in Europe offers good value for money. Each European country has its own tuition fee policy. Discover Study in Europe's country profiles to learn about typical tuition fees per country.

  • What are the living costs for international students in Europe?

Costs for accommodation, food and drink, transport, etc. vary across Europe. See the Study in Europe country profiles for more information. Don't forget to ask the International Office of the European higher education institution that you are interested in about the average living costs in their city. Additionally, we have put together some tips on how to save money as a student in Europe.

  • Will I be able to work during my studies?

Many students work part-time whilst they study or during the university holidays to help support themselves financially. Each country has restrictions on the maximum amount of hours that an international student can work during his/her studies. Check the EU immigration portal for each country to learn more.

  • Can I stay on after my studies to work in Europe?

Each European country has adopted different regulations to allow students to stay on after their studies to look for a job. However, the European Union has requested that international students can stay at least for 9 months to look for a suitable work opportunity.

  • Where do I find information on scholarships?

There are a lot of scholarships and funding schemes available across Europe, e.g. the Erasmus+ programme or scholarships proposed by each country. On the Study in Europe website we list the main programmes.

  • Do you offer scholarships to refugees?

Study in Europe does not offer scholarships.

  • Do I need a visa to study in Europe?

Almost every non-EU/EEA resident needs a visa when he or she wants to stay in Europe for a considerable period of time. Students are often required to apply for a student visa. With this visa, you can stay in your host country for a fixed period of time. The rules concerning visas may differ from one country to another. Check the EU Immigration portal for more information and contact the respective embassy of the European country you are interested in studying in.


  • We are international education agents and we wish to collaborate with you. How can we?

We thank you for your interest in Study in Europe. We don't work with education agencies in the scope of this project. However, you are free to refer interested students towards the Study in Europe website for more information about opportunities to study in Europe.

Header image: © iStock/matdesign24, 2019