For the essential information about studying in Romania and applying for higher education programmes, visit the Study in Romania website.
- Population: 19,760,314 (2016)
- Capital: Bucharest
- Geographical size: 238,391 km2
- GDP: €169.578 billion (2016)
- Official EU language(s): Romania
- Currency: Romanian Leu RON
- Student visas and immigration
- Scholarships and financial support
- Number of higher education institutions: 92
- Number of students in higher education: 681,500 (2012, Euromonitor International from national statistics/UNESCO)
- Number of international students in higher education: 16,034 (2011, UNESCO)
- Language of instruction: Most higher education programmes in Romania are taught in Romanian language but you will find many taught in English, French, German and Hungarian too
- Typical tuition fees:
Students from the European Union (EU) pay the same tuition fees as Romanian students – usually between 400 to 1,000 Euro per year. Non EU-students typically pay from 500 to 9,000 Euro per year of study.
- Average length of a full-time higher education programme in Romania:
- Bachelor’s degree programme: 3 years
- Master’s degree programme: 2 years
- Doctorate/PhD: 3 years
Are you thinking of studying in Europe? Romania combines European high-quality educational standards with unforgettable opportunities for a great student life.
Why study in Romania?
- You will have a solid university degree recognised in Europe and beyond
- You have the advantage of low tuition fees and living expenses
- Romania has a broad choice of university programmes, available in English, French, German, Romanian or Hungarian
- Romanian is one of five European Latin languages along with Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese - and it’s fairly easy to learn! Romanian language classes are organised in different universities within dedicated departments. The preparatory language programme takes a full year for undergraduate study, or six months for postgraduate study
- You will benefit from one of the world’s fastest Internet connections! Romania is in the top three for fastest connectivity in the world
- As the home of seven UNESCO world heritage sites and with beautiful scenery, Romania is a great place to explore.
Here you have the perfect opportunity to travel to Transylvania and visit the land where Dracula’s legend was born. Bran Castle is in the middle of the country waiting for you, as well the fortified city of Sighisoara.
Or, how about the seaside, with its wide fine sandy beaches and modern clubbing resorts, the Danube Delta, the Carpathian mountains with their very good hiking paths and skiing resorts, or Moldova County and the Painted Monasteries of Bucovina.
Western Romania is characterized by multiculturalism and has numerous music festivals (Garana Jazz Festival, Electric Castle, Summer Well, Untold, Plai, etc.)
Choose your programme, plan your trip, Romania is ready for you!
Friendly people, scenic beauty!
In Romania you will be living in a country of friendly people, scenic beauty and contrasts. From the vibrant cities to the rural areas where people still maintain authentic traditions, there is so much to be discovered and enjoyed.
Student social life covers a wide range of activities and opportunities to socialise on and off campus.
Join the other 20,000 international students already in Romania and get ready for a new, refreshing and life changing experience, from both an academic and social point of view!