SELFIE (Self-reflection on Effective Learning by Fostering the use of Innovative Educational technologies) is a free tool designed to help schools embed digital technologies into teaching, learning and assessment. SELFIE has a strong basis in research and was developed based on the European Commission framework on promoting digital-age learning in educational organisations.
SELFIE anonymously gathers the views of students, teachers and school leaders on how technology is used in their school. This is done using short statements and questions and a simple 1-5 answer scale. The questions and statements take around 20 minutes to complete.
Based on this input, the tool generates a report – a snapshot (‘SELFIE’ :-)) of a school‘s strengths and weaknesses in their use of technology.
SELFIE is available for any primary, secondary and vocational schools in Europe and beyond, and in over 30 languages. It can be used by any school – not just those with advanced levels of infrastructure, equipment and technology use.
Designed by and for schools
SELFIE is an initiative of the European Commission and is funded through the Erasmus programme. It is free of charge for every school.
The tool has been developed with a team of experts from schools, education ministries and research institutes across Europe. Partner institutions include the European Training Foundation, the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (CEDEFOP) and UNESCO's Institute for Information Technologies in Education.
School leaders, teachers and students have been involved in creating and testing SELFIE:
- 5,000 staff and students gave input into the early design of the tool
- 67,000 people, from 650 schools across Europe, took part in the pilot test
- SELFIE was tested in primary schools to ensure it could be understood by younger students
Be part of growing community of schools across Europe that are using SELFIE to help them build digital technologies into their teaching and learning.
- SELFIE involves the whole school community – school leaders, teachers and students – in a 360-degree process covering many areas of school practice.
- Because every school is unique, the tool can be customised. Your school can select and add questions and statements to suit your needs.
- SELFIE allows all participants to answer questions that match their experience, as students, teachers or school leaders.
- SELFIE is free of charge. Answers are anonymised and data is secure.
- You can take the assessment from a computer, tablet or smartphone.
- On completing SELFIE, each school receives a tailor-made, interactive report which provides both in-depth data and quick insights into strengths and weaknesses.