What is it about?
Latin America is a key region for EU cooperation in the higher education area, which is channelled through Erasmus+ and Horizon 2020 when it comes to science and innovation.
- supporting the modernisation of higher education institutions and systems
- increase the support to teaching and learning mobility for students, teachers, university staff and young people from Latin American countries
- promoting joint activities and research projects in the higher education sector
- promoting capacity building actions for innovation and exchange of EU–Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) best practice to boost knowledge and skills in order to address the development needs of both regions.
What has been done?
In terms of higher education, vocational education, training, and youth, the Commission supports these objectives through different international cooperation programmes and initiatives, including:
The importance of academic cooperation for the bi-regional partnership between EU countries, Latin America and the Caribbean has been recognised by EU-CELAC Summits and there is a process of academic and knowledge summits, which bring together academics and higher education decision-makers from the two regions.
The European Union supports this regional dialogue and has joined the first EU-CELAC Knowledge week (2-6 October 2017), holding:
- An information event on Erasmus+ and Horizon 2020 to promote funding opportunities for academic and scientific cooperation between Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe
- A celebration of the 30th anniversary of Erasmus+, with a focus on the experience of CELAC students, academics and young people from civil society organisations
- A seminar on the recognition of study periods abroad to exchange best practice in removing obstacles to student mobility
More information about these events.
The first EU-CELAC Knowledge week was organised in San Salvador around the III Academic and Knowledge Summit.