For the essential information about studying in Belgium Wallonia-Brussels and applying for higher education programmes, visit the Study in Belgium website.
- Student visas and immigration
- Scholarships and financial support
- Number of higher education institutions: 41
- Number of students in higher education: 184,889 (2012, Euromonitor International from national statistics/UNESCO)
- Number of international students in higher education: 21% of students
- Language of instruction: Most higher education courses in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation are taught in French language but you will find many courses taught in English and other foreign languages (German, Spanish, Dutch etc.) too.
- Typical tuition fees:
- For EU students: maximum €835 per year
- For non-EU students: maximum €4,175 for the whole programme, depending on the higher education institution, the programme, and the country of origin. More information is available on the Study in Belgium website.
- Average length of a full-time higher education programme:
- Bachelor’s degree programme: 3 years
- Master’s degree programme: 2 years
- Doctorate/PhD: 3 years
Home to the European Parliament, the European Commission, the European Council, and other European Union institutions as well as international organisations such as NATO, Belgium is a friendly, international society right in the heart of Europe.
As one of the founding members of the European Union, Belgium also hosts world renowned higher education institutions. Whether you plan to study a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate degree, or enrol in a summer study abroad programme, you’ll find that Belgium offers you fantastic study opportunities.
While the usual languages of instruction are French and/or Dutch, you will also find many degrees offered in English, German and other foreign languages.
Study in Belgium Wallonia-Brussels: first choice for first-class higher education
In Wallonia-Brussels, 6 universities, 19 university colleges and 16 arts colleges offer you a wide range of quality study programmes - from profession-oriented courses to more academic-oriented ones.
As an integral part of the European Higher Education Area, degrees are easily recognised world-wide!
Did you know that more than 20% of students in Wallonia-Brussels come from another country?
Belgium Wallonia-Brussels offers you a unique international atmosphere on- and off-campus. Its higher education institutions also offer a significant number of English-taught programmes, Erasmus Mundus programmes, and programmes where you can study in another country for part of your course.
Small country, great impact!
Thanks to Wallonia-Brussels’ international connections, students here can build international and professional networks. With research-supportive public policies and strong ties between universities and industry, research in Wallonia-Brussels is dynamic and innovative.
Higher quality of life and extensive mobility opportunities:
Excellent health care, a rich cultural heritage… and of course great cuisine! You will find all of these in Belgium while being at the heart of Europe.
Scholarships and financial support
Wallonia-Brussels offers many financing tools and opportunities for international students and researchers.