The European Innovative Teaching Award is a new initiative to be launched in 2021 established by the Commission Communication on achieving the European Education Area by 2025.
The objectives of the Award are to
- celebrate the achievements of teachers and schools and to give credit to their work
- identify and promote outstanding teaching and learning practices
- use the prize as a means for mutual learning
- highlight the value of the Erasmus+ programme to European teacher collaboration and the establishment of the European Education Area
Like the Erasmus+ Teacher Academies, this new initiative aims to support teachers and trainers in their careers by promoting professional excellence, professional networks and communities of practice, as well as learning mobility abroad.
There will be four awards for each Erasmus+ programme country
- early childhood education and care
- primary education
- secondary education
- VET schools
The awards will be selected and nominated by the Erasmus+ national agencies, who are involved in shaping this initiative through a co-creation process.
The prize will have a thematic focus each year and reward teachers and schools who have addressed a particular topic listed among the priorities of the European Education Area through their projects.
For 2021, the topic will be distance and blended learning, in close connection with the Digital Education Action Plan and the COVID-19 pandemic.