Promoting accessible, high-quality and inclusive digital education must be a common endeavour across society.
Governments, education and training institutions, the private sector and the public all need to be committed to delivering a high-performing digital education ecosystem.
As such, the successful digital transformation of education and training systems goes beyond the government bodies and institutions responsible for education and requires an integrated whole-government approach across a number of different policy areas.
This action aims to articulate the steps that need to be taken to deliver on the key enabling factors instrumental to making digital education a reality for all. These include, but are not limited to
- tackling connectivity and equipment gaps
- supporting education and training institutions by sharing knowledge on how to adapt and digitalise in an inclusive manner
- addressing issues surrounding the accessibility and availability of assistive technologies
- encouraging European Union (EU) Member States to foster closer dialogue between stakeholders from across the economy and between education and training institutions
- encouraging Member States to develop guidelines for digital pedagogy
- identify the steps to be taken regarding education, investment, research and innovation to provide high-quality and inclusive digital education for all learners across Europe
- exchange ideas and expertise on how to best deliver on the key enablers of effective and inclusive digital education
- support EU Member States in the digital transformation of their education and training systems by promoting joint commitment between the European Commission and EU Member States
- launch a strategic reflection process with EU Member States
- organise several thematic meetings on the enabling factors for successful digital education
- draft a possible proposal for a Council Recommendation on the enabling factors for successful digital education
- increase political commitment of the Member States towards enabling effective and inclusive digital education
- raise awareness of the key factors for the successful digital transformation of education and training systems
- reach an agreement on a potential proposal for a Council Recommendation on the enabling factors for successful digital education (to be confirmed)
- By the end of 2021 – launch of the Strategic Dialogue
- By the end of 2022 – possible adoption of a Proposal for a Council Recommendation on the enabling factors for successful digital education
This action is funded by the EU's Erasmus+ Programme.
Get in touch
If you are interested in knowing more about this action, you can get in touch with us by email at
Header image: © European Union, 2021.