The Union Civil Protection Mechanism (UCPM) co-finances projects that support Participating States’ efforts in the field of disaster prevention and preparedness. Funding opportunities are available through annual calls for proposals targeting civil protection authorities and their partners to develop actions for disaster risk management. This programme takes on a two-track approach and awards grants to single country (Track I) or multiple country projects (Track II).
Track I: Single Country Grants
Assistance to Member States for the preparation and implementation of disaster risk management actions
This action provides national civil protection authorities of Participating States with financial support for the development of strategic activities (including studies, proposals, policies and plans) which can potentially leverage investments with a large disaster risk management impact.
- Proposed new directions to advance civil protection system in the Czech Republic (CZ)
- Preparation of a National Operational Programme on Disaster Prevention and Preparedness under the Cohesion Policy Funds (IT)
- Preparation of an investment project proposal addressing disaster risk management due to possible threats from a Belarussian nuclear power plant (LT)
- Feasibility study for the development of a national disaster damage and loss database (DLD) in Latvia (LV)
- Feasibility study for the development of an early warning systems based on telecommunication technologies (LV)
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the tendering procedures for the construction works (design & build) and related works supervision services for six centres for Romania’s General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations (IGSU) (RO)
- Assistance in developing a stronger baseline for effective disaster risk management (enabling conditions for Structural Funds 2021-2027) (HR)
Track II: Cross Border Grants
This funding track supports multi-country partnerships that aim to advance disaster prevention and preparedness across Participating States of the UPCM, EU Neighbours and enlargement countries that are not Participating States. These projects promote cross-border collaboration for disaster resilience and include a broad array of stakeholders, e.g. national and sub-national civil protection authorities, universities, international organisations, NGOs and private sector.
In the current Multi-Annual Financial Framework (2014-2020), the UCPM has financed 112 cross-border projects:
Click here for an overview of the past Track II projects.