On 27 June 2018, the European Commission will organise an event on ‘Preventing and responding to Gender-Based Violence in Emergencies: challenges and opportunities’.
This public event aims to raise awareness on gender-based violence (GBV) in emergencies, highlight challenges and opportunities in responding to GBV, and disseminate information on the Call to Action on Protection from Gender-Based Violence in Emergencies. The EU, through the European Commission's Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO), took over the leadership of the Call to Action in June 2017.
The event takes place in the margins of the annual Call to Action Partners Meeting 27-29 June 2018, which is a closed meeting.
Date: Wednesday, 27 June 2018
Time: 14h30 – 17h30
Venue: Management Centre Europe, 118 Rue de l'Aqueduc, B-1050 Brussels
- Mr. Christos Stylianides, EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management
- Ms. Heidi Hautala, Member of the European Parliament
- Ms. Lamiya Aji Bashar, Yazidi human rights activist and winner of Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 2016
- Ms. Monique Pariat, Director-General, European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO)
- Ms. Angelina Nyajima, Founder and Executive Director, Hope Restoration South Sudan (HRSS)
- Ms. Saja Michael, Gender and Diversity Technical Advisor, ABAAD – Resource Gender for Gender Equality in Lebanon
- Mr. Rasmus Stuhr Jakobsen, Secretary General, CARE Denmark
- Mr. Dan Baker, Senior Humanitarian Adviser to the Executive Director, UNFPA
- Ms. Alexandra MacKenzie, Director, Humanitarian Organisations and Food Assistance Division, Global Affairs Canada
Followed by a questions & answers session with the audience (30 min).
A cocktail reception will take place from 17h30 to 18h30.
To attend this event, please register here by 26 June 2018 the latest.
We strongly advise you to register as soon as possible, as room capacity for this event is limited. We will accept registrations on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you have registered, but are unable to attend, or someone else is replacing you, please inform us as soon as possible by email: ECHO-CALLTOACTIONGBV@ec.europa.eu
Follow the discussions on social media via the hashtag: #CalltoActionGBV