This year’s European Research and Innovation Days will be held in fully virtual format from 22 to 24 September. The annual flagship event of the European Commission aims at creating connections between cutting-edge scientific research and the most pressing challenges of a generation. The event comprises the 'Science is Wonderful!' exhibition and a Policy Conference – divided into ambitious plenary sessions spanning the depth and breadth of research and innovation in Europe, and specialised hubs covering 10 pivotal themes.
The European Innovation Council will host its very own set of sessions at a dedicated hub (Hub 8: European Innovation Council), including numerous breakout sessions/workshops and five open sessions:
- 12.30-13.30 | Building the new European Innovation Council: Putting Europe at the forefront of Deep Tech and Breakthrough Innovation – discover why support for impactful innovations in next generation companies focused on sustainability, digitalisation and deep tech is more important than ever in the era of recovery in Europe.
- 14.00-15.00 | From world class SCIENCE to world beating COMPANIES (joint with European Research Council) – join the discussion on how the EIC can address the gap between research and deeptech-driven innovation at a pan-European level.
- 10.30-11.15 | Towards the EIC FORUM: Optimising how the EIC, national innovation agencies and partners work together in times of crisis – witness the launch of the EIC Forum of Forum of Member States and Associated countries’ public authorities and bodies in charge of innovation policies and programmes. The Forum will promote coordination and dialogue on the development of the EU's innovation ecosystem and connect the existing innovation ecosystems with the EIC. First challenge: post-COVID-19 crisis and the role of the innovation ecosystem in supporting economic recovery.
- 12.00-12.45 | EIC supporting women revolutionising Tech – discover initiatives aimed at increasing participation of women in the European Innovation Council, such as positive actions for women CEOs, gender parity in the juries, and the EU prize for Women Innovators.
- 11.30-12.15 | Europe’s new “SUPER FUND” – find out more about the European Commission’s move towards direct equity investments through the European Innovation Council in order to bridge the critical funding gap at the start-up stage where the EU venture capital market underperforms compared to the global venture capital market.