15 innovative new blue growth projects funded through the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) will be present at European Maritime Day this year - all of which are winners of the blue career, blue labs and blue technology calls.
European Maritime Day (EMD) is the key annual meeting point for Europe’s maritime community to network, discuss and forge joint action. This year, the EMD 2017 conference and exhibition will take place from 18-19 May 2017 in Poole, in the UK, with up to 1000 participants expected.
The new blue growth projects will have an opportunity to meet and exchange information during a side networking event on the 18th May through a pitching process; and then a break-out into smaller sessions to discuss general maritime themes in order to get bottom-up input for policy-making.
Out of all the projects, three projects have been selected to present during the EMD plenary session on 19th May – these are:
- North Sea Solutions for Innovation in Corrosion for Energy (NeSSIE): delivering corrosion solutions and new materials for offshore energy installations.
- A Blue Biotechnology Master for a Blue Career (BBMBC): creating a Master's degree named “Applied Blue Biotechnology Master II” entirely focused on blue biotechnologies and their application in the health, nutrition and aquaculture domains.
- “Algae-to-Market Lab Ideas” (AMALIA): new products and services to address invasive alien species (invasive macro-algae) on the Iberian North West Coast and ensuring a sustainable exploitation of resources for food, health and industrial applications.
The objective of the EMFF-funded projects being present at the EMD 2017 is to network, have visibility and take advantage of being at the biggest gathering of maritime stakeholders in Europe.
15 new blue growth projects
Blue careers projects
- BBMBC: A Blue Biotechnology Master for a Blue Career
- ASSESS: Advanced skills in safety, environment and security at sea
- BLUE SMART: Blue education for sustainable management of aquatic resources
- ENTREFISH: Sustainable entrepreneurship for stronger skills and new employment
- CETBC: Cooperation in education and training for blue careers
- MENTOR: Blue Care7er Centre of Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea
- PROCREW: Professional Crew training For Super Yachts
Blue labs projects
- ARCHEOSUb: Autonomous underwater robotic and sensing systems for cultural Heritage discovery conservation and in situ valorisation
- SpilLess: First line response to oil spills based on native microorganisms cooperation
- AMALIA: Algae-to-Market Lab Ideas - Adding value to marine invasive seaweeds of the Iberian northwest
- LitterDrone: Development and exploitation of innovative tools for remote marine litter control and management through UAVs
- Lab4Dive: Mobile Smart Lab for Augmented Archaeological Dives
Blue technology projects
- NeSSIE: North Sea Solutions for Innovation in Corrosion for Energy
- INvertebrateIT: Disruptive and forward-looking opportunities for competitive and sustainable aquaculture
- ENTROPI: Enabling Technologies and Roadmaps for Offshore Platform Innovation