The mission of BEREC is to assist the Commission and the national regulatory authorities (NRAs) in the implementation of the EU telecoms rules, to give advice on request and on its own initiative to the European institutions and to complement at European level the regulatory tasks performed at national level by the regulatory authorities.
Main tasks of BERECs:
- to participate in consultations under the EU consultation procedure;
- to disseminate regulatory best practices, assisting the NRAs on the implementation of the EU telecoms rules;
- to advise the Commission, the European Parliament and the Council on telecoms and assist the EU institutions and the NRAs in their relations with third parties;
- to deliver opinions
- on draft decisions and recommendations on harmonisation, in accordance with Article 19 of the Framework Directive;
- on draft decisions on the identification of transnational markets, in accordance with Article 15 of the Framework Directive;
- aiming to ensure the development of common rules and requirements for providers of cross-border business services;
- to be consulted
- on draft measures relating to effective access to the emergency call number 112;
- on draft measures relating to the effective implementation of the 116 numbering range;
- on draft recommendations on relevant product and service markets, in accordance with Article 15 of the Framework Directive;
- to give opinions on cross-border disputes;
- to monitor and report on the electronic communications sector, and publish an annual report on developments in that sector.
BEREC is composed of the heads of the 27 NRAs and is assisted by an Office in Riga, Latvia.