The report describes the discussions that took place in the industry round table, and in the stakeholder meeting ‘Bridging from excellent research to innovation’. It highlights several elements of a European strategy that have been identified:
- Reinforce scientific and industrial leadership, as research and its application is as indispensable for innovation like light is for painting.
- Coordinate investments, both at the National and European level through strategic platforms and documents. In particular, current joint programming instruments such as the ERA-NET scheme should be used to encourage all Member States to participate through public-public and public-private partnerships.
- Create a favorable European innovation ecosystem, in order to facilitate the transfer of basic research findings into real life market applications.
- Establish leading engineering capability attractive to industry and investments.
- Encourage standardization for the most mature quantum technologies, such as quantum key distribution. At the same time, national metrological institutes should collaborate in developing quantum-based standards and certifications.