DG Enterprise and Industry has launched a period of consultation addressed to companies of all sizes, organizations, public authorities, and citizens interested in the EU standardisation activities. All are welcome to comment on the harmonization of the laws protecting technologies, including copyrights and intellectual property rights.
Participants are required to answer to a questionnaire on 8 key issues:
- Prospective fields of standardisation for patent-protected technologies;
- Adaptation of rules and practices to the fast-changing economic and technological environment;
- Communication on patents for abuse prevention;
- Challenges of patents' transfers to new owners;
- Effective use of patent pools;
- Definitions of the criteria for standardisation;
- Solutions to litigations related to patent standardisation;
- Guarantee of royalties for patent holders.
A EU study indicates the strategic role of patents in achieving broad and rapid diffusion of innovative technologies, more particularly in consumer electronics, the automotive sector and in smart grids alongside telecommunication. Such patents aim at removing unnecessary barriers in the market and in facilitating the interoperability between products.