Performances as Highly Enriched and Interactive Concert eXperiences, or PHENICX for short, is a collaborative research project, co-funded by the European Commission, in which academic researchers, music institutions, musicians and up-and-coming technology companies join forces. The project mission is to make use of all the richness around classical music: the sound one can hear, but also the players one can see; the characteristics of a piece, and also the differences between multiple performances of the same piece; the background stories behind a piece, but also the way it is perceived and discussed by different types of audience.
Through smart use of continuously improving technology, a whole new classical concert experience is built, which can guide people through a performance, allows audiences to get an impression of a piece before a concert, and has them revisit the concert after it was played. All of this is not meant to defy the traditional concert experience, but to offer new engaging experiences on top of it, and maintain a broad audience for an important European cultural heritage asset.
A prototypical integrated tablet experience has been under continuous development throughout the project, and tested with various concert audiences, verifying how technologies can optimally be combined and presented to indeed enrich the concert experience, and form part of viable novel music business models. Next to this, individual technologies have been showcased and tested, and in certain cases even pushed to the market by several PHENICX partners.
- YouTube playlist with many videos for the project, showcasing prototypical outcomes and live tests, as well as individual technologies relevant to the project.
- Latest release of the integrated PHENICX prototype, July 2015
- Live concert showcasing PHENICX concepts and live technologies at the Singularity University Summit, Spain, March 2015
- Earlier integrated prototype live test in the Concertgebouw, February 2015
- Repovizz: a multimodal online database and visualization tool