These startups are finding support and encouragement through a strong startup ecosystem readily available to provide funding and mentoring, including:
- Startup accelerators such as Startup Lisboa and Beta-i
- Local events and competitions including Prémios Insead and programmes such as Startup Pirates
- The Portuguese reference in crowdfunding platforms, PPL.
Inspirational success stories
Discover the latest generation of young Portuguese entrepreneurs who are blazing their own trail with these inspirational success stories:
- With Aptoide app users no longer need to keep all their Android apps on a single, centralised store…
- Tuizzi, an online platform that has been described as the booking.com of outdoor advertising.
- See how Net Peças revolutionizes the car repairing.
- Compare o Mercado is yet another breakout startup.
- Discover Wisergo, an online marketplace for customised travel packages.
- See how free app Buzzstreets adopts innovative ways of monitoring traffic.
Some stimulating startups and scaleups
Antonio Murta, the Digital Champion of Portugal recommends having a look at these interesting startups and scaleups:
- nMusic is a cross-platform music and video streaming service, offering fully integrated solutions for smart TVs, mobiles and PCs.
- NDrive is a navigation systems engine for smartphones and personal navigation devices.
- Patient-Innovation is an innovation sharing platform focusing on chronic and rare diseases.
- SiscCog is active in the applied optimisation and artificial intelligence space. It is one of the leading providers of timetabling solutions for rail networks.
- Vortal is one of the world's leading operators of digital SME markets, selected by four governments to fully support their procurement processes. Its digital network connects around 60,000 SMEs and is growing fast.
- WeDo Technologies is a leading player in the world in enterprise business assurance software.
- Visionbox is a leading company in the space of airport automation, which has so far worked for over 40 international airports around the world. It uses biometric technologies extensively, e.g. for epassport handling and check-in.
- Outsystems focuses on developers – it provides a set of software engineering tools for fast development.
- Brisa Inovação has gained a reputation for its intelligent solutions for tracking cars which have been deployed on motorways across the country. It is now moving fast into the smart cities space and investing in the smart infrastructure domain, which includes smart highways capable of smart safe behaviour.