The new technologies being deployed and adopted by the public sector are bringing in:
- new innovative ways in which citizens and businesses interact with public authorities;
- new ways of working for administrations themselves;
- and providing new business opportunities through the re-use of open data and modular servicesand collaborative production of services.
Horizon 2020, the EU framework programme for research and innovation
Research and innovation activities on open government and ICT-enabled public sector innovation are supported by Horizon 2020. In preparation for the first Work Programme, the European Commission carried out a consultation in 2013, whose findings that are still valid today.
The Work Programme 2016-2017 supports eGovernment/ICT-enabled public sector innovation related activities through the following topics, under Societal Challenge 6: "Europe in a changing world - Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies":
- Applied co-creation to deliver public services
- Co-creation between public administrations: once-only principle
- Policy-development in the age of big data: data-driven policy-making, policy-modelling and policy-implementation
- Understanding the transformation of European public administrations
- New business models for inclusive, innovative and reflective societies.
Find more information on:
- 2016-17 calls
- Societal Challenges on the Horizon 2020 website
- The ICT-public sector innovation in Horizon 2020 flyer
- Funded projects on ICT-enabled public sector innovation in Horizon 2020 SC6
The Malmö Ministerial Conference on eGovernment set out the vision in 2009, to make European public administrations open, flexible and collaborative in their relations with citizens and businesses. The vision was translated into several concrete actions in the European eGovernment Action Plan 2011-2015.
In particular, a number of eGovernment projects in eParticipation and cloud of Public Services areas have been launched to increase the capacity of citizens, businesses and other organisations to be pro-active in society, using new technological tools and innovative technical approaches.