Women are under-represented at all levels in the ICT sector, especially in decision-making positions. Hence, it is essential to ensure a more balanced representation of women and men in the digital economy. To this goal, the Women & Girls Go Digital in Greece (WGGD - G) coalition under the leadership of the Hellenic General Secretariat for Gender Equality and in collaboration with the European Centre for Women and Technology have set off to develop a functional ecosystem of entrepreneurs, business people, policy makers, the academia in order to assist women in pursuing ICT careers and help the best and brightest talents shine among Greek women and girls.
The initiative concentrates efforts to: leverage accumulated knowledge, strategies, best practice and policies in Europe implemented for the promotion of ICT among women; offer state-of-the-art career counselling and mentoring; raise awareness about ICT careers among women; enhance female ICT enabled entrepreneurship; encourage a more balanced representation of gender in economic decision making.
Women & Girls Go Digital was launched in Greece on 4 April 2014 at a dedicated Greek Presidency Conference. A detailed National Action Plan, along with impact indicators, benchmarking and monitoring of relevant targets by 2020 was presented.
Founding coalition partners:
- General Secretariat for Gender Equality - Ministry of Interior (Coordinator)
- General Secretariat for Youth - Ministry of Education & Religious Affairs
- General Secretariat for Life Long Learning - Ministry of Education & Religious Affairs
- Secretariat General of Mass Media
- Hellenic Manpower Employment Organization
- National Organisation for the Certification of Qualifications & Vocational Guidance
- School of Electrical and Computer Engineering - Division of Industrial Electric Devices and Decision Systems
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens - Dept. of Informatics and Telecommunications
- University of Patras - Computer Engineering and Informatics Department
- Federation of Hellenic Information Technology & Communications Enterprises (SEPE)
- CISCO SYSTEMS HELLAS
- MICROSOFT HELLAS
- ORACLE HELLAS
- MANPOWERGROUP GREECE
- Hellenic Management Association - Sector of Women Managers and Entrepreneurs
- The Found.ation
- European Centre for Women and Technology
- European Institute for Gender Equality
- European Schoolnet
- Team Europe – Representation of EC in Greece
The pledge is open to any private or public actor or academia that shares the objectives and purposes of the WGGD-G pledge.
Pantelis Nikolaidis | firstname.lastname@example.org