The Future & Emerging Technologies programme (FET) focuses on research beyond what is known, accepted or widely adopted and supports novel and visionary thinking to open promising paths towards radically new technological possibilities. Encouraging researchers from different disciplines to work together on new technologies in specific themes is the essence of FET Proactive.
FET Proactive in Horizon 2020
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly EUR 80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) implementing the Innovation Union, a Europe 2020 flagship initiative aimed at securing Europe's global competitiveness.
In Horizon 2020, FET Proactive initiatives involve a set of complementary and collaborating projects (see first and second link), building new multidisciplinary research communities and enhancing Europe’s innovation potential. In addition to research, FET Proactive activities also include:
- generating a research roadmap for the area,
- developing appropriate educational materials, and
- disseminating results to raise the general awareness of the new technology benefits.
In the work programme 2018-2020, FET Proactive consists of 3 initiatives under the topic Boosting emerging technologies:
- Emerging paradigms and communities, to explore and consolidate a new technological direction in order to put it firmly on the map as a viable paradigm for future technology. To foster the interdisciplinary communities that are able to drive this forward, extending from the participating consortia to a wider European pool of expertise. To stimulate the emergence of a European innovation eco-system around a new technological paradigm, well beyond the world of research alone. There will be 6 sub-topics:
- Artificial organs, tissues, cells and sub-cellular structures
- Living Technologies
- Socially interactive technologies
- Disruptive micro-energy and storage technologies
- Topological matter
- Community building in Neuromorphic Computing Technologies to network and coordinate the efforts of the European academic and industrial research and innovation communities in neuromorphic computing (NMC) technologies. To showcase a wide variety of NMC technologies and their applicability in cognitive computing, capitalising on their key benefits such as greater flexibility, efficiency and their adaptive and permanent learning capabilities. To stimulate wide industrial interest and further public-private investment in the field, accelerating technology transfer, take-up and innovation within an expanding European NMC eco-system.
- FET ERA-NET Cofund to advance the construction of the European Research Area in the FET domain by sharing a common vision of the various relevant efforts in Europe and fostering cooperation towards the coordinated development of radically new future technologies.
FET Proactive also encompasses 3 initiatives under the topic High Performance Computing (HPC), implementing part of the European HPC strategy.
Join the Digital4science platform to engage and network with researchers.