Room 5B, 22/10/2015 (09:50-10:35)
The objective of this session is twofold:
1) to bring together people from the world of research with people form the world of industry, interested in lowering energy consumption in ICT devices. They often speak two different languages and have different perspectives. In this session we will hear from both community in short, focused communications.
2) to raise awareness in the ICT people (at large) in the importance of decreasing energy dissipation in the future of ICT devices. This strategic bottleneck is often overlooked when people think at the future of ICT. We need to put under focus the connection between the need for powering mobile devices (in the internet-of-things scenario) with the need for decreasing heat production in future microprocessors. Both these aspects rely on the science of energy transformation at micro and nano scale. By addressing this very issue we will open novel perspectives for exascale computers and micro wireless autonomous sensors at the same time.
- Opening with a video on the role on energy on the functioning of ICT devices.
- L. Gammaitoni (Univ. of Perugia) introduces the two sides of this topic: excess heat production in microprocessors and low battery life for mobile micro devices. (5 min)
- Podium confrontation: from industry (Dr. Valentina Bacchettini, Wisepower srl) and from research (Dr. Georgios Fagas, Tyndal) will illustrate in a 5 min speech the 3 main “wishful thoughts” (industry rep) and the 3 main “things we know” (research rep).
- Follows a question-and-answer session, much like in a political debate, with public, moderated by a professional science communicator (L. Alfonsi, Psiquadro)
- During the session there will be a corner installation with video boot “speak-up your view”. Here everybody has a 3 min speech opportunity for recording a message on this topic that will be available through the web site of the (FET Proactive) ICT-Energy coordination action (www.ict-energy.eu).
The expected outcome is clearly related to the two objectives that we want to pursue:
1) to bring together people from the world of research with people form the world of industry, interested in lowering energy consumption in ICT devices.
This will be evaluated by listing the “origin” of each participant and monitoring the balance between the various communities.
2) to raise awareness in the ICT people (at large) in the importance of decreasing energy dissipation in the future of ICT devices. This strategic bottleneck is often overlooked when people think at the future of ICT.
This will be more difficult to evaluate. We will monitor the messages left by the willing participants to the video boot “speak-up your view” and the twits with hashtag #ict-energy.
Organised by: Luca GAMMAITONI (NiPS Laboratory - Universita' di Perugia, NiPS Laboratory - Physics Department, Italy)
Cluster: Components and Systems
Comments are closed