Today, the internet is key to almost any social or economic activity, a true value creator that reshapes the economy and society. This trend is irreversible and in 10 years, the internet will be even more essential for society and economy worldwide.
Yet, there are still concerns around personal data and transparency. The internet should also provide better services and greater involvement and participation. It is essential that the next generation internet is designed for humans, so that it can meet its full potential for both the society and the economy.
The Next Generation Internet initiative aims to shape the future internet as an interoperable platform ecosystem that embodies the values that Europe holds dear: openness, inclusivity, transparency, privacy, cooperation, and protection of data.
Engaging the public and stakeholders
The initiative has included activities to engage both the public and experts, as well as a large-scale study.
- A public consultation gave everyone a chance to share their views and ideas about the Internet of 2030. The results of this consultation were summarised and published in a report in March 2017.
- The European Commission commissioned a study to develop its vision for the Next Generation Internet, prioritize research topics and advise on how do architect the initiative. The report on the study ‘Next Generation Internet 2025’ was published in October 2018.
Building a NGI ecosystem
- The interactive NGI stakeholder map provides information about active participants in the European NGI ecosystem.
- The NGI Contact Points in the EU and associated countries help in reaching out to stakeholders, and exchanging information with the Future Internet Forum members and the European Commission.
- A number of ongoing NGI projects help to identify specific research topics and to create an ecosystem of relevant stakeholders.
The NGI initiative funds European innovative research projects that make it possible to imagine and develop a new Internet that is safer, more open, more respectful of people and more useful to all citizens.
The NGI is a key priority in H2020 ICT work programme 2018-2020. It funds research and innovation addressing the following topics:
- Blockchain for the Next Generation Internet
- Interactive technologies
- Next Generation Internet of Things
- An empowering, inclusive Next Generation Internet
- Next Generation Media
- Next Generation Internet - An Open Internet Initiative
- Interactive Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
- Internet of Things
- Future Hyper- connected Sociality
- A multilingual Next Generation Internet
- EU-US collaboration on NGI