Digital Manufacturing Platforms will be fundamental for the development of industry 4.0 and Connected Smart Factories. They are also seen as a strategic requirement for Europe and they are one of the topics of the Work Programme 2018-20.
In accordance with the strategy defined in the multi-annual roadmap of the Factories of the Future Public-Private Partnership, this topic requests proposals that target ‘grand challenges’ such as agile value networks, excellence in manufacturing or sustainability.
In order to discuss the challenges ahead and future opportunities for digital manufacturing platforms, the European Commission and the European Factories of the Future Research Association (EFFRA) organised a dedicated workshop.
The purpose was to discuss what specific platforms would need to be addressed, developed and piloted at EU level in the near future. During the workshop previous and ongoing activities in this area were also taken into account, as well as the opportunities for future development.
The workshop was held on 19 October 2017 in Brussels.
Outline of the workshop and presentations
- 09.15 – 09.45 Welcome and introduction
- Introduction, by Arian Zwegers (European Commission)
- 09.45 – 10.15 ConnectedFactories scenario building exercise, mapping and first analyses
- ConnectedFactories, by Chris Decubber (EFFRA)
- 10.15 – 12.00 Baseline results from ongoing projects
- 12.00 – 12.45 Industrial Platform Approaches
- 12.45 – 13.45 Lunch
- 13.45 – 15.00 Grand challenges and future digital manufacturing platforms
- Agile Value Networks: lot-size one, by Arnd Schirrmann (Airbus)
- Excellence in manufacturing: zero-defect processes and products, by Jan Post (Philips)
- The human factor: human competences in synergy with technological progress, by Monica Bellgran (KTH)
- Sustainable Value Networks: manufacturing in a circular economy, by Konstantinos Georgoulias (University of Patras)
- 15.00 – 16.30 Elements of future platforms
- 16.30 – 17.00 Discussion and Closing
The full agenda can be found here.
The workshop report is available here.