Neelie Kroes stated at the World Economic Forum that "The ICT sector is the new backbone of Europe's economy, and together we can prevent a lost generation and an uncompetitive Europe. So I am expecting concrete pledges by companies, everyone I meet will be getting the same request. The Commission will do its bit but we can't do it alone – companies, social partners and education players – including at national and regional level - have to stand with us."
Within the context of Startup Europe, an initiative to help web entrepreneurs startup their business and grow, creating new jobs and transforming the economy and society, the European Commission is making a call to action for companies:
- Support new job creation by supporting the startup community with expertise, tools, services & customers.
- Provide access to the knowledge, technology, capital and networks they need to reach their full potential
- Facilitating the access of entrepreneurs in acceleration & incubation programs
- Offering advice, mentorship and access to partners to early stage startups
- Celebration success and failures while inspiring others to start talent competitions, hackatons, sponsoring admission to events