- Despina Spanou, Director for Digital Society, Trust and Cybersecurity, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- Anett Madi-Nator, Vice-President Strategic Business Development Cyber Services Plc, ECSO Advocate for Women4Cyber
- Dominique Leroy, CEO of Proximus
- Nele Mentens, Professor at KU Leuven, member of Computer Security & Industrial Cryptography research group (COSIC)
- Pia Ahrenkilde Hansen, Deputy Secretary General of the European Commission
- Gertrud Ingestad, Director General of DIGIT, European Commission
This panel discussion is organised by the European Commission 'Cyber Aware' programme team. The Cyber Aware programme is the European Commission's corporate programme aiming at increasing the awareness of the Commission staff in the field of cyber security and highlighting the responsibility of every European Commission staff member to contribute to a safe online experience.
The cybersecurity field is suffering from a massive skills shortage. According to the latest research from Cybersecurity Ventures. Today in Europe only 7% of the cybersecurity workforce composition is women. In addition, the same study predicts that women will represent more than 20 percent of the global cybersecurity workforce by the end of 2019. However, the researchers conclude that "the 20 percent is still way too low and heightened awareness on the topic is needed".