The Consultation was launched online from 25 September to 30 November (extended to 15 December) 2014 by the European Commission's Network Technologies Unit in Directorate General Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG CONNECT).
The aim of the Consultation was to obtain advice on a set of questions and expressions of commitment for engagement on candidate target areas for future European Internet of Things (IoT) Large Scale Pilots (LSPs). The results of the Consultation, based on the content analysis of the responses to the questions of the Consultation, will contribute to the Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2016-17.
In terms of target areas, the aim was to understand where the EU value-added is maximised, potentially using the following filters:
- Industry readiness: in a target area European industry should have sufficient capabilities and be ready to lead significant future developments
- Leveraging of previous R&D&I activities: the target areas should build on the most promising results developed in Horizon 2020 and/or previous Framework Programmes
- Socio-economic potential: target areas should provide opportunities for significant market and/or societal benefits to the European industry and citizens.
The set of questions of the Consultation were the following:
- Which elements do you consider important for the design of European IoT Large Scale Pilots?
- Which stakeholders and organisation profiles should in your view actively participate in such IoT Large Scale Pilots?
- Would you or your organisation participate in such IoT Large Scale Pilots? (Please indicate your main motivation and potential commitment…)
- Which role could the citizens play in the IoT Large Scale Pilots?
- Which target areas and potential use cases should the IoT Large Scale Pilots focus on and why?
- Any additional suggestions?