- Co-ordinator: Tactical Tech
- Starting date: 1 September 2020
- Duration: 12 months
- Maximum amount of the grant: EUR 294.014
- Website: https://exposingtheinvisible.org
This action supports investigative journalism and media freedom in the EU by organising activities through which independent investigative journalists, other media actors (including news media actors) and civil society investigators and researchers from EU countries will receive capacity building, new skills and will collaborate to develop new learning resources for emerging investigators.
The action includes two workshops, an investigative institute and the development of self-learning resources and curricula to build investigative journalistic capacity.
Specific objectives and related activities:
1. To increase the capacity of at least 30 independent investigative journalists, other media actors and civil society investigators and researchers in EU Member States to train their peers in integrated online and offline (IOO) investigations using the curricula and resources. This objective will be achieved through two workshop series in late 2020 and early 2021.
2. To increase the capacity of at least 40 independent investigative journalists, other media actors and civil society investigators and researchers from EU Member States to use IOO investigative methods and collaborative techniques in a safe manner by equipping them with skills and resources to expose issues relevant to the public at local and regional/ crossborder level. Focus: investigators from marginalised, under-resources and under-represented communities. This objective will be achieved through an Investigative Institute organised in Spring 2020.
3. To develop self-learning material (guides, tutorials, etc.) and training curricula to increase the understanding and knowledge of 50,000 investigative journalists, other media actors, civil society investigators, researchers and other interested members of society in EU member states to use IOO investigative methods and collaborative investigative techniques in a safe manner to expose issues relevant to the public at local and regional/ cross-border level. These materials will be published and made freely available on the Exposing the Invisible website and in the Exposing the Invisible Kit for investigators.
This project was selected further to a Call for proposals for Pilot Projects and Preparatory Actions (Action 3)